Thursday, November 30, 2006

Daisy

Last week I rescued a 5 month old kitten from the walking park in our area. She was abandoned with her brother back in August. My husband began feeding them because they were literally starving to death. The kittens also had no shelter to go to. There is a drainage ditch but when it rained, and being out in the wide open, with the fierce wind the poor kittens had nowhere to go.

To make a long story short, my husband had to go to Chicago for work and left me with the kittens to feed. So off I would drive to the park to feed them. I noticed the little girl was limping. Her front paw was injured. She needed a vet. But I still couldn't get her. After a week or so, her leg got worse and she got slower. So I picked her up and brought her home. I called the vet and she was taken immediately. She spent the night and the next day she was spayed, had her foot cleaned(it was abcessed), and she got her rabies shot.
The kitten who we named Daisy is now resting comfortably in her crate. Her stiches will come out next week. I don't know anyone who will take her and I cannot turn her loose. She would not survive. She has permanant damage to her leg and will probably always limp. So it looks like I have another cat. This makes #7.
Her brother went missing a few weeks ago. I am hoping he found a home. Hoping.

9 Comments:

Blogger Kara said...

Oh my! Another kitty! Good luck with that!

(I would have done the same thing.)
I wouldn't be able to sleep knowing that poor kitten was out in the cold and hurt

I am curious how you get all of your cats to get along. I've tried to introduce a new cat to mine and it never works out. My cat is such a bitch! but I suppose at 18 years old she has earned the right. She is a sweet old lady but for some reason cannot get along with her own kind.

Anyway, good on you for taking in another needy kitty, I hope the other found someone to take him in.

Take Care,
Kara

Fri Dec 01, 03:26:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Dale said...

Zoe, I would have done the exact same thing!

Daisy is one lucky kitty to have you as a benefactor. Not everyone would care as much as you do - and act on it.

She's beautiful - calico is my favourite colouring.

Along with you, I hope her brother found a good place.

Dale

Sat Dec 02, 02:45:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Anne-Marie said...

Zoe, you are a kitten angel. I think Daisy is beautiful, and a lucky girl. I too hope that her brother found a home.

Sat Dec 02, 03:54:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Suesjoy said...

Hi Zoe-
Long time no see!
Oh you are so sweet Zoe!
I have "adopted" two stray cats too.
Our neighbor across the street has 2 cats - one of them has a kitten (the other 2 are bro and sis).
Anyway, I feel like calling the cops because the man was starving the older cats - he tried throwing them over their fence to a busy street.
UGH!
I was feeding them, then I told this man's kids that I wanted to take them to the shelter, but they were insisting they were their cats and that their mom was going to take them (the parents are divorced).
Anyway, this neighbor took off after not paying his rent...we still feed one of the cats - I haven't seen the others.
I think there are a few of us who feed these cats!
Did you ever read the children's book, Six Dinner Sid? That's what it's like around my 'hood!

I have a very terratorial Tabby, so I can't adopt any more cats!
I am feeling badly though because it gets chilly here at night now - near 40 degrees...
I worry about them - it feels colder than that.

Anyway, good for you for rescuing these poor little helpless sweeties.


Hope you are well!
Take care,
Sue

Sun Dec 03, 02:58:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Metalchick said...

Oh! poor kitty!
I'm glad you took them in! They are very lucky indeed.

Tue Dec 05, 05:00:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger grace said...

Hi Zoe, how are you? aah, Daisy will be very happy with you, she has a good home. Poor little thing, I hope that her brother has found a home. Happy kitty #7!!
take care , xxx Grace

Tue Dec 05, 05:10:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger E.L. Wisty said...

You really did a good deed rescuing this kitten.

I wonder if she was a summer pet? This is one of the cruellest things I know. At least in Finland many people, especially city folks who go stay in the countryside in the summer, take a cute little kitten or puppy for the summer, and when the summer is over and it's time to return to the city, they just throw it out, like it was a toy. With the Finnish winters, the abandoned pets have no chance of survival. These people don't seem to have any understanding that they are living beings :-(

Maria

Wed Dec 06, 04:43:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Snowball said...

Hi n stuffs! New cat n stuffs! Shoo hope you'll have fun n stuffs maybe you'll find some toys I leftnided behind n stuffs if you do you can play wiss tsem. N don't mind Awri, he's just like that. Bye new cat n stuffs!

Sat Dec 09, 02:16:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger grace said...

Hi Zoe, how are you? How are all your furry friends?
xx Grace

Mon Dec 11, 02:59:00 PM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home